Monday, January 21, 2008

Bars: Forbidden Island Tiki Lounge

Fun, kitschy and very, very dangerous.

I've been to the Forbidden Island a few times with some friends who live in Alameda. (They were ecstatic that something interesting had finally arrived on the island.) Each visit has been a very fun experience. They've really paid attention to detail, from the thatched-hut-covered booths to the cocktail waitresses’ Polynesian-esque costumes to the Forbidden Island stirrers that adorn every cocktail.


And speaking of the cocktails, they’re strong – really strong, and deceptively so. After a Zombie and a Headhunter, both of which went down like fruit punch, I made the mistake of ordering another Headhunter. I should have known I was in trouble when our cocktail waitress set the drink down in front of me with one eyebrow raised and walked away uttering “okaaaay” under her breath in a I-hope-you-know-what-you’re-doing tone of voice. Needless to say, I had an excruciating hangover the next day.


I’m also happy to say that it looks like the Forbidden Island has been discovered by Alameda's gay community. Last time I was there, a table of 6 or 7 guys sat down next to us and had a grand old time. You know a place has made it on the map when we've arrived.


My only complaints:


- Their back patio is grossly under-utilized and seems to close early

- The place always seems to smell like Pine-Sol


Some complain about the line to get in. I'm not sure there's much the bar can do about that. If they exceed capacity, they can get cited by the fire department. I just avoid the place at those times. I personally don't wait in line to get into ANY bar or club, let alone one in Alameda.


★ ★ ★


Forbidden Island Tiki Lounge
1304 Lincoln Avenue
Alameda, CA 94501

(510) 749-0332


(Originally written 9/28/06)

No comments: